Forty is a landmark.
No big deal was made of today, but I feel like it is a big deal. I’m forty. I’ve been thinking a lot about what that means.
Here’s fourteen of my thoughts and desires upon turning 40:
1. According to the average life expectancy of a woman in the U.S. I’ve lived half my life already.
2. According to the Bible that’s about half the life of hot breath on a cold window- a fraction of a vapor.
Indeed, You have made my days [as] handbreadths, And my age [is] as nothing before You; Certainly every man at his best state [is] but vapor. Selah -Psalm 39:5
3. If I’m half way through my life, I’m taking on the motto, “It’s all uphill from here!” Not downhill. I want the high country for the last half. I don’t want to coast my way to the end.
4. Forty feels… comfortable in my own skin with a deep ache for Who I was made for.
5. I want the gospel of Christ to be more precious, and treasured, and beautiful to me than ever before.
6. I want to love my husband well.
7. I remember standing in the bathroom, looking at my 13 year old self in the mirror thinking, “I wonder what I’ll look like when I’m 30?” I never even thought I’d be forty.
8. I want to speak of Christ and the good news of what he’s done to reconcile man to God boldly and with love.
9. I want to be rid of the fear of man. It’s snare has been attached to my foot too many of these forty years.
10. I want to learn how to use power tools.
11. I want to plant a garden and reap a harvest.
12. I want my kids to see God’s power to save! “Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.” -Psalm 90:16
13. “And you shall remember that the LORD your God led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you [and] test you, to know what [was] in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.” – Deut. 8:2
14. Moses was simply a dweller for forty years before God made him a deliverer. “Then, at this saying, Moses fled and became a dweller in the land of Midian, where he had two sons. And when forty years had passed, an Angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire in a bush, in the wilderness of Mount Sinai.” – Acts 7:30
This is only the beginning. You can do anything God… even with a half breath like me. I want to be spent for You! Apart from you I can’t do that. May the last half of my days bring you more glory than the first.